Hosting a Super Bowl party Feb. 5 when the Atlanta Falcons battle the New England Patriots? If you want a trophy from your guests, consider taking one or more of these elegant ideas from famous Charlotte-based event designer Sikky Rogers and running with them.
"The key to any great party is for the host to have as much fun as the guests," Sikky says. Here's her sophisticated party game plan:
1. Hire a caterer and bartender.
2. Food ideas include fresh baked soft pretzels with different dipping sauces; serving chicken and dumplings or chili in mugs so guests can walk around with their food while they watch the game; having a bacon bar with different types of bacon and bacon wrapped treats; and instead of regular paper napkins, using larger disposable guest towels (they look like high end napkins).
3. Have enough beer and wine for your guests, but also consider adding a full bar, bourbon bar or coffee bar. Whatever you serve, be sure to have plenty of nonalcoholic drinks.
4. For maximum impact, place flowers on your main food station where guest are guaranteed to see them. Keep the arrangement simple by using one color or one type of flower.
5. Make sure there is ample seating in the TV viewing areas. Arrange some pillows on the floor in each room with a television.
6. If your space is large enough, use multiple small tables to create mini food stations so guests are encouraged to move throughout the room.
7. Have someone from a local cigar store bring in cigars, cutters and lighters for a cigar bar set up outside. Include some good brandy and brandy snifters.