In 1991 when makeup artist Bobbi Brown launched her namesake cosmetics company, she probably had no idea that one day men would also be fans of the brand's skincare line.
Justin Pittman, Bobbi Brown Cosmetics' Account Coordinator for the Carolinas, explains this growing trend among men:
"Everyone, whether they're a man or a woman, needs to make sure they're taking care of their skin properly," Justin says. "Men really like the quality of the products and the packaging. Everything has very clean lines and most of it is in clear containers with a black cap - it doesn't look very feminine."
That doesn't mean men are flocking to Bobbi Brown cosmetic counters in department stores - they're still shy about buying the products in person. "I hear many of our female customers say their husbands won't come (to the Bobbi Brown cosmetics counter), but they'll take their wives' Bobbi Brown eye cream and moisturizer and then get upset when it starts to run out."
Justin says his main advice to men is to hydrate. "If all you're doing now is washing your face and shaving, just adding a moisturizer makes a huge difference."
Here's Justin's list of the top eight Bobbi Brown products men use the most, and why they're popular.
1. Lathering Tube Soap ($34). "Men want a squeaky clean feeling after they wash their face."
2. Hydrating Face Tonic ($34). "It's alcohol-free so there's no burning or stinging and it helps remove any oil or residue left on the skin after cleansing."
3. Extra Repair Serum ($114). "It's so important for men to use a serum also because it's made to penetrate the skin much deeper than a moisturizer."
4. Extra Repair Moisturizing Balm SPF 25 ($98). "Guys don't want anything that feels sticky or heavy. They should be using at least an SPF 15, but higher is better, especially if they're outside a lot. This is great for men with dry skin who want sun protection. If you have sunroof, don't forget to apply this to exposed parts of your head."
5. Extra Eye Repair Cream ($74). "Everyone needs an eye cream. This is a moisturizer and a treatment product that melts into the skin, feels great, brightens and helps with fine lines. Just rub it between your fingers to warm it up and pat it around the eye area."
6. Buffing Grains For Face ($46). "Everyone, even men who shave, should exfoliate their face once or twice a week. Add the grains to the cleanser and it turns it into an exfoliator that makes the shave smoother, and it helps with eliminating ingrown hairs and razor burn."
7. Lip Balm SPF 15 ($23). "Instead of having to apply a cheaper drugstore lip balm constantly, this one doesn't feel heavy and and it works all day. It also comes in a stick formula if you prefer to apply it directly to your lips."
8. Hydrating Face Cream ($60). "Guys don't want anything that feels sticky or heavy. This is a lightweight cream with vitamin enriched water to help hydrate and condition the skin."